Thursday 5 June 2014

HANDMADE HAPPINESS


A lovely article that Love Dani shared has stayed with me and got me thinking about the happiness found in handmade things. Making things makes me happy, and hopefully those things then go on to make other people happy.

Handmade objects, clothes, jewellery, cards and artworks hold more sentimental value than many other gifts and objects in our home. Knowing that someone has spent their time lovingly and creatively crafting that piece adds so much to it's story and meaning. 

I'm aware that it looks super dodgy me writing this now that I am making more things and trying to sell them, but that's not my motivation for this post I promise. Rather, I just want to draw attention to the idea of buying handmade items and to advocate for their loveliness.

I did a bit of googling on the subject and got lost in the web of passionate people using 'buy handmade' logos alongside their online shops of crafty goods. 

I just might get on the bandwagon and join in, heck I might even hand make a little logo! 

Pics above of handmade items around the house are:
- A lovely little crochet bunting from a lady in England (photo from my archives at the old house when the baby used to still fit on that change mat!)
- Rainbow giraffe from a lady in Subiaco (pic also from the old house)
- My works in progress dangly things 
- A quick wardrobe raid produced many loved handmade items: Love Dani shorts,
Sewn by Sam pants, Hamilton pom pom Mexican top, Emily Green necklace, Jennifer Maestre brooch and a Carrie McDowell silk artwork

The Dreamers Market recently asked their Facebook fans why they buy handmade - there's some lovely reasons in there if you feel like a little read:

And here's the link to the original article that Love Dani shared about the beautiful Calico and Ivy store in Perth. I could spend hours daydreaming and pottering about in that glorious shop. 

I love these quotes in the article.

Happy Friday my friends! Here's to a crafty weekend ahead! ***

No comments:

Post a Comment