Sunday 7 September 2014

WHAT ARE YOU MAKING?


Today's post is about one of the craftiest ducks I know - Sam Haslam.

Fellow potter and nutter Sammy is an inspiration to me on the crafting front and my mumming adventure. She is an expert juggler of two beautiful boys and her own business called Sewn by Sam. Sam is a a good laugh, a trained seamstress and a lover of colour. She exudes effortless style and creativity seems to come to her the minute she picks up a blob of clay or piece of cloth.

Sam sells her ceramic and clothing wares at regular local markets and through her Facebook page here and Made It website. 

I live in my Sewn by Sam cotton pants and relish the chance to put on my blue beaded necklace on a ladies night out free from George's little grabbing hands! 

One of the things that we often chat about is how to match up product pricing with consumer expectations. The pictures here give some insight into the process of making ceramic jewellery. It's a fiddly business. Sam cuts out the bead shapes, underglazes them, fires them, clear glazes them, fires them and then puts them together with earring backings or necklace wires and cords. Similarly with her pants, dresses, tops and kids clothing - there's a lot involved and a lot of love gone into creating a handmade item. Sometimes people don't consider that, and with the ease of modern machine manufacture I think the value of handmade items can sometimes be overlooked. Well there's no overlooking going on here! This blog celebrates handmade and the makers :)

In Sam's words here's what she's making:
1. What are you making?
I am making earrings and pendants. 

2. What is it about making that thing that you particularly enjoy?
I like to make earrings as my customers like the hand made type of earrings.

3. How do you make that thing?
They are made out of earthenware clay.

4. What will you make next?
Hmm, not sure at the moment, maybe some colourful beads.

5. What would you be doing if you weren't making that thing? 
Laying on a beach on an island sipping cocktails. Or just taking care of my two young boys.

If you have any questions or comments for Sam or I please leave a note here or on Facebook :)

Happy making!
x J 

No comments:

Post a Comment