Monday 22 September 2014

WHAT ARE YOU MAKING?


My mate Nancy, she's pretty clever you know!

She makes marvellous things that make your mouth water. It's true she battled with a bit of baby brain in recent months but only she would have noticed the error of her ways, I'm quite sure that Wayne and I would have devoured the sloppy vanilla in her second batch of vanilla slice, not to mention the banoffi pie with raw pastry. I know she has her making mojo back and is just gearing up to attack her maternity leave project with flying colours. A project that I have happily nominated myself as chief taste tester for -  Nance plans to bake every item in her favourite cookbook. I can't wait to reap the rewards of her busy baking and support her on her making mission.

Nance makes you feel welcome, she makes you feel relaxed, she makes delicious treats and delivers them with a pom pom gift tag, and she made this gorgeous little man Caleb (with a little help from her hubby Ash). 

She's made quacamole, vanilla slice and a tiramisu that I hear also makes a fine brekkie. In Nancy's words here's what she's making:
1. What are you making? Neil Perry's Tiramisu out of this months ABC Delicious magazine! 

2. What is it about making that particular thing that you enjoy? Besides eating it, I love to cook. It's my relaxation and therapy. And with a gorgeous 7 week old attached to me most of the time being able to make something most days gives me a sense of achieving something. 

3. How do you make it? Follow the recipe!

4. What will you make next? Going to bake a classic Victorian sponge. Might need another coffee date this week Jen so I don't eat the whole cake on my own! 

5. What would you be doing if you weren't making that thing? 
Sleeping, doing washing or playing with Caleb.

#2 Mum's vanilla slice 
1. What are you making? Vanilla slice, made with home made custard and using SAO's instead of puff pastry. Genius & delicious!

2. What is it about making that particular thing that enjoy? This slice takes me back to my childhood. Mum used to make it all the time and it was what I always requested when we had the chance. Mum recently stayed with us for 6 weeks while I had my first baby and so of course I requested some vanilla slice. Comfort food!

3. How do you make it? Line tray with SAO's. Make a thick custard. Fill, then add SAO's on top. Set in fridge. Ice with your favourite icing. I like plain or passion fruit. YUM!!

4. What will you make next? Need to do this slice again because my last attempt failed. Custard wasn't thick enough so it flopped!

5. What would you be doing if you weren't making that thing? 
Watching cooking shows, reading cook books or the latest Gourmet Traveller.

What a lucky duck I am to have his lady in my life. 

If you have any questions or comments for Nancy or me please post them here or on Facebook.
Happy making! 
x J

No comments:

Post a Comment