Sunday 24 August 2014

MONDAY MAKING


I'm kicking off this new little series with a post about one of the loveliest ladies I know - Gail Gates.
Gail was one of the warm and welcoming faces on Wednesday nights when I first joined the Karratha Potters Group nearly four years ago. She has now relocated with her husband to a property down South near Albany where she makes fruit preserves from the endless crops of fruit trees, goes for early morning freezing cold swims with the Granny Grommets and is carrying on her creative endeavours at the Vancouver Arts Centre. Gail is back in the Pilbara for a couple of months and it is so wonderful to have her back at the Arts Centre on Wednesday nights again.
Gail is a mum, wife and grandmother. The role that she is probably most proud of is being a grandmother. Her grandson Alex and his parents have been visitng this past week and I'm sure Gail will be grinning from ear to ear for weeks after they leave.
I'm not sure if Gail was the founder of these big bottom lady creations or is just carrying on the tradition. Either way she makes them beautifully. They have become a popular creation amongst the potters and I'm sure quite an impressive big bottom lady convention could occur with the collection throughout Karratha someday. The completed big bottom lady above is one of Gail's favourite which she have to her fabulous friend Robyn Rayson (quilting queen whose beautiful works will be featured right here on Monday Making in coming weeks). Ofcourse there is always lots of hilarious banter about cracks and boobs and bottoms whenever someone is making a lady, they provide great entertainment! 

In Gail's words here's what she is making:
1. What are you making?
'Fat Bottomed Lady'

2. What is it about making that particular thing that you enjoy?
The sculptural element is very meditative, plus each time you create a new lady a different personality seems to embody the sculpture. When its complete she seems to calm any space she is placed.

3. How do you make that thing/ what will you make next? 
Start with the legs and coil up. I've completed the body and will start defining her torso with shoulders arms and breasts. Then comes my favourite bit her neck head shape and hair. The position of all these features can make her pensive or strong or liberated or sensual or whatever she becomes.

4. What would you be doing if you weren't making that thing?
If I werent making her I'd be making hand made table ware or decorative pieces to melt glass in for a wall hanging and in porcelain...my next project, I've been using BRT for a while and feel the need for change :-)

If you have any questions for Gail please just comment here, on Facebook or send me a message. Also, if you have any suggestions or ideas about how I could improve this little series or anyone that you would like to hear from please let me know. Happy making! 
x J

No comments:

Post a Comment