Monday 6 October 2014

WHAT ARE YOU MAKING?


Things are starting to warm up in the Pilbara. I thought I'd share Bree's beautiful winter woolies so that I can pretend that it's not so hot! 

She's a pretty clever cookie with some impressive skills for a beginner crocheter!
Bree is a past Pilbara potter, a green thumb gardener and an inspiring nature lover and appreciator of all things wholesome and hearty.

In Bree's words here's what she's making:
1. Dr Who scarf for my husband. 
This was my first ever crochet project made with 100% sheep's wool. I probably started it about 8 times. I enjoyed learning something new and noticed my skill level, accuracy and speed improving by the metre. Ended up being 3.5m long. It is all one stitch, double crochet which made it simpler for a first timer. Next I made a continuous Granny Square baby blanket. I'd probably be reading if I wasn't busy crocheting.

2. I've always wanted to make a Granny Square blanket and I thought the continuous style would be easier for a beginner. I used 5mm crochet hook with 8 ply 100% wool yarn. I loved working with the colourful bright wool. I found this to be much easier than I thought it would be and completed it in a few days. This will be a gift for a friend who is expecting their first baby. That is the best part, being able to give someone a hand made gift that is beautiful and useful. My next project was a beret for my daughter.

3 When I was working on my first project, I watched many videos on youtube to learn of different techniques and ideas for future projects. My daughter walked passed when the beret video was on and asked me to make that for her. I actually thought it would be too hard for me, it looked complicated but after two false starts it was really simple and I made it within 3 hours. I really enjoyed this project, it was instant gratification and it looks fancy. My daughter loves it. 
My next project will be using up the left over wool from the Dr Who scarf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x17lugL31H0

4. My current project is a traditional Granny Square (maybe blanket, not sure yet) using up the left over wool.

Bree added me to this awesome group on Facebook called Creative Crochet Crew, it's so awesome to see the updates everyday and get inspired by what people are making.

I haven't quite got the hang of crochet but have been doing a bit of knitting lately. It's such a nice meditative process and the handmade item at the end is just a bonus. 

Happy making!

No comments:

Post a Comment