Sunday 19 October 2014

WHAT ARE YOU MAKING?


My mum is the eldest of 6, which means that I have 4 lovely aunties and one awesome uncle. They are all pretty clever in their own ways, and they are pretty funny too. When the whole family gets together in England or Oz for Christmas and weddings we have a blast. My favourite times are the dinner table discussions and tea towel whipping sessions amidst the banter in the kitchen as we do the dishes and tidy up. 

My one clever duck Aunty Sarah has a heart of gold. She lives in lovely Warnham, West Sussex with hubby Paul and black lab Louis. Our little family loved walking through the fields, relaxing at the local pub and soaking up English life during our unforgettable holiday in July with Sarah, Paul and Louis and the rest of our crazy clan. 

Sarah sends me photos of the changing colours of the leaves, the afternoon sun on the trees and the beautiful cobwebs on the washing line. I send her silly pictures of George. Not a fair trade really but I am happy with my end of the bargain. 

She also sends me lovely photos of the awesome chairs that she is re-upholstering. Now there's an impressive and useful making method if ever I saw one! I'm not sure if I'll be able to put an order in for a Sarah Rees upholstered chair of my own given the distance between us, but I sure would love one!
Sarah did the top chair for my Granny a few years ago and is currently working on the chair in the second and third pics for my Aunty and Uncle.

In Sarah's words here's what she's making:
1. What are you making? 
I'm reupholstering a chair.

2. What is about making that thing that you particularly enjoy?
I enjoy doing all kinds of different types of furniture as they all vary slightly and require slightly different techniques. So I am learning all the time which is always enjoyable and satisfying. 

3. How do you make that thing?
I make it with lots of help from others who come to our club. Traditionally you start with hessian, ties with cord and build up layers of horsehair, more hessian, more hair, wadding, calico, poly wadding and then top cover. Hard work on the hands! 

4. What will you make next?
Next I think is probably another similar chair but who knows! 

5. What would you be doing if you weren't making that thing?  
If I am not doing this I am at work or walking the dog usually! 

If you have any questions for Sarah please fire away!
Happy making!
x J 

No comments:

Post a Comment