Monday 13 October 2014

WHAT ARE YOU MAKING?


I don't know if I'm going to be able to write this blog post in one go without going and getting a snack, my mouth is watering so bad after inserting all of those photos. I've already had dinner and dessert but I'm sure I could fit all of those meals in my belly if they suddenly appeared infront of me. 
Oh they look so good!
They are the mouth watering creations of the amazing Elise Knowles. Mum to Rafferty, wife to Gareth, sister, daughter, friend and lover of fresh and fine dining.

When Elise sent me the below answers to my five questions my mind was officially blown. I had so many questions but mainly I was in awe of her disciplined approach to food and her commitment to healthy living and eating, for herself and for her family. 

In Elise's words here's what she's making:
1. What are you making?
I'm really into paleo food at the moment and love experimenting with different types of flours that don't contain any grains. 

One of my favourites that I'm currently using is tapioca flour. Tapioca flour comes from the root of the cassava plant, it adds structure to gluten free baking so it's perfect for paleo cooking. It also helps give things a chewy and/or crisp texture, especially in things like cookies and cakes.

I'm also incorporating the 5 and 2 program into my life at the moment so I'm enjoying planning my fast day low calorie dinners. I like to experiment with alternatives to rice and pasta, like zucchini noodles, konjac pasta, kelp noodles & cauliflower rice.

I like to fast all day and consume my 500 calories in the evening, keeping my food consumption to about 350 calories so I can allow a glass of wine if required!  

2. What is it about making that particular thing that you enjoy?
It's very enjoyable for me to spend my downtime researching new recipes and ways to prepare food for myself and my family. 

I've always been a very healthy eater however after having my son 18 months ago I found I slacked off in the food department and needed something new to inspire me. I'd heard a lot about paleo and the caveman way of eating so I thought I'd try and incorporate some paleo cooking into my life. 

I love the feeling I get when I spend time researching and planning what I'm going to make. It's nice to reconnect to a passion or hobby. 

3. How do you make it?
I've been lucky that for the last five weeks I've been borrowing my friends thermomix, so I've been able to use it as a food processor and whip up meals or baked goods pretty quickly. It's very convenient being able to put a curry or a soup on and know that it'll cook away perfect before alarming to advise you it's ready! 

Before this I used a simple food processor for blending ingredients for sauces and baked goods, and I'm always using my trustee vegetable spiralizer to aid in my addiction to zucchini noodles. 

4. What will you make next?
Now that I'm incorporating the 5 and 2 program into my life I'm concentrating a lot more on discovering low calorie meals (particularly dinners) that aren't boring or repetitive. 

I'm also enjoying putting a healthier spin on everyday recipes and finding natural alternatives to processed sugars and flours, so I'll be spending a bit more time concentrating on that.

5. What would you be doing if you weren't making that thing? 
If I wasn't spending time experimenting with paleo and low calorie cooking I'd probably be bored and missing out on rediscovering the joys of cooking. 

It's as simple as that!


Isn't she amazing!? 
If she wasn't busy making these amazing meals she would also be keeping a watchful eye on adventurous Rafferty sharing his lunch with his best furry mates! That boy has a heart of gold, gorgeous golden locks and a wardrobe to die for! 
If you have any questions for Elise please fire away here or on Facebook.
Ok bye, I'm off to get that snack before bed!
x J










1 comment: