Monday 10 November 2014

WHAT ARE YOU MAKING?


The lovely Carrie McDowell, she's a clever crafty lass. Today she had her final assessment for her Masters of Visual Art in Melbourne. It's been a labour of love and a massive achievement. I've never completed a Masters, but I imagine that it's pretty hard work. Lots of investigation, study and making to be done, lots of writing, peer assessment and assignments. And this lady has done it all via correspondence from Karratha. It's an enormous achievement. 
As if doing a Masters wasn't enough to keep her busy, Carrie has a jam packed weekly schedule of art classes and workshops in Karratha and Cheeditha, visits to her ladies at Ngurrawaana and a bit of making other things on the side!
We are pretty luck to still have Carrie with us after a big bull tried to clean her up. Poor old Heidi the Honda was not so fortunate, but thanks to her we still have the lovely lady around to share her beautiful creations. 

In Carrie's words, here's what she's making:

Ok Jen! 
Sorry I've been busy at Cheeditha today!!!
I have just finished construction of my BaruMiaToyota and completed my MVA! The project plays on the humour and ingenuity of Aboriginal people, particularly the Yindjibarndi who share lots of both with me.
I am inspired by the tv series 'Bush Mechanics' and influence by the land artists particularly Chris Drurey.
I love being in the bush with the elements, exploring materials with all sensations. 
How. All of my work is process driven. The process is as important as the outcome. It's the journey rather than the destination. So the collection of the grass, the preparation, the act of stringing it together, the feel of the grass the smell are all part of the experience of the art work.
Next project....... Will be done in air conditioning, it will be soft on my hands, small and colourful and will most likely be stitched!!

I don't know about you but I want to know more, and I want to see that awesome artwork in situ! 
If you have any questions or comments for me or Carrie please leave a note here or on Facebook.

Happy making my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment